Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Fruity Froyo








The last two years has seen numerous frozen yoghurt, aka froyo (or “froghurt” as the creators from The Simpsons would say), stores burst into being across the Gold Coast and Brisbane. I feel like it started with the opening of a Noggi branch opening in Brisbane. Noggi had previously only been available in Sydney and I was used to hearing Sydney-based friends, and those visiting Sydney, rave about its magnificence. I am yet to taste this famous Noggi brand of frozen yoghurt as I found an alternative in the Meyer Centre when I was in the CBD one day, an alternative that one of my trusted friends assured me was far more delicious than this Noggi I had heard so much about. Unfortunately that particular store has since closed due to lack of business. However, I just happen to live less than a kilometre away from what I would call THE best frozen yoghurt store in South-East Queensland.  I make this call confidently because, although I am yet to taste Noggi froyo, one of Sydney friends quietly admitted to me that she thinks that this little local shop stocks a better product.

One of the few things preventing me from devouring litres of frozen yoghurt every week is the cost. A full cup of froyo with various toppings (e.g. granola, hundreds and thousands, tiny teddies, nutella) would probably empty one’s bank account of anywhere between five to twelve dollars. The halfprice night once a week is nearly enough to satisfy those froyo cravings but when the seven day wait seems impossible, the only solution that doesn’t break the bank is to make one’s own! 

As it is coming to the end summer, I used peaches for my frozen yoghurt. It’s probably possible to just throw yoghurt, fruit, and honey/sugar into an ice cream maker and hope for the best, but I used a recipe from Green Kitchen Stories as a rough guide. The original recipe uses rhubarb and strawberries, so maybe I will give it a go when I have access to some organic strawberries… strawberries aren’t pleasant if they’ve been sprayed with pesticides as their soft skin soaks all the nasties right up.




Fruity Froyo (adapted from Green Kitchen Stories)
Makes about 4 cups 

Ingredients:

500g peaches, chopped into ~2cm cubes 
½ cup raw honey 
3 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups full-fat plain Greek yoghurt

Directions:

1. Place the peaches, vanilla essence, and 4 tablespoons honey in a medium size saucepan, cover and bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

2. Mash up the fruit with a fork or stick blender to the desired consistency (I personally prefer having chunks of fruit in it but it would be delicious smooth as well). Refrigerate the fruit compote for 1 hour or until completely cool.

4. Combine yoghurt, remaining honey and ¾ of the fruit compote. Pour this into an ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

5. When the ice cream is complete, remove the machine’s paddle and stir in the rest of the fruit compote.

6.  Pour the froyo into a freeze proof container and leave in the freezer until firm. If you’re feeling particularly impatient, skip the freezing step and go ahead and eat froyo mush. I can vouch for the taste.

- Matilda


No comments:

Post a Comment