Thursday, May 16, 2013

Oat & Apple Scones

Note to self: scones are known, in American English, as "biscuits". I mean, seriously. Biscuits??



Biscuits are things like ginger nuts, Monte Carlos, Kingstons, shortbread...  Scones are the the wee cakes you can slather in butter, jam or cream (preferably all three) and enjoy with a cuppa in the morning or afternoon. Totally different. The day we begin to incorporate the word "biscuit" to mean scone in Australia will be a dark day indeed - even darker than the day the word "cookies" made it to our shores.


Image from web 

Before I get too worked up about how much I detest American English, first let me apologise for the state of the oven mitts - Mum was embarrassed when she saw the photo and then realised I was going to publish it. I would like to declare we don't live in filth but the oven mitts possibly do get used too often and not washed often enough. Needless to say, these mitts are now waiting for their turn in the washing machine. 

Now back to scones, biscuits, and cookies. For me, a scone is the fluffy (or not so fluffy, if you prefer damper-like scones) things you eat with butter/jam/cream. Biscuits are any sort of sweet or savoury cracker that do not collapse in a puddle of buttery goo with one touch, and cookies are anything that do collapse into said goo. The recipe I'm about to share is definitely for scones, although unfortunately I didn't realise until it was too late... by which time my scones were laid out neatly, ready to go in the oven, like little biscuits. Of course, it didn't matter in the end - they taste wonderful!! But the aesthetics leave a little to be desired. 

Reflecting back on my mid-week weekend - two days off uni to spend cooking, reading, watching tv and having fun at the beach with friends! - I realise this recipe taught me a bit about my self, namely that I still have not learnt how to follow instructions properly. >>Insert epic facepalm here.<<

I was the child in school who who buggered up a few too many simple maths problems because she didn't read the question properly. I am the twenty-something that still insists on beginning recipes before reading through the list of ingredients, only to have to stop halfway through and  salvage what I can. I also have a problem with imperial units and remembering the conversions of said units. All of those  things came into play with these scones... even the maths. 200g + 150g is... ok, yeah. I get it now. 

So basically my advice is this: keep reading if you want to know how NOT to make these scones. However, I do include the link to the original recipe so maybe you can scroll down just a bit more for that. Oh and look out for the soon-to-be-washed oven mitts making yet another appearance... 




Oat & Apple Scones (from Green Kitchen Stories)

Ingredients:

Dry ingredients 
1 ¾ cup (200g) oat flour 
¼ cup (150g) plain flour (or buckwheat flour, for a gluten-free version)
3 tsp corn starch 
1 tsp baking powder 
½ tsp baking soda 
1 tsp sea salt 

Wet ingredients 
6 Tbsp (75 g) extra virgin coconut oil, chilled and cut into small cubes 
4 Tbsp nut butter (I used peanut butter, GKS used almond) 
1 cup plain yoghurt (use soy yoghurt for a vegan version)
3 apples, shredded with peels on (approximately 1 ½ cup apple shreds) 

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to (including baking tray) to 230°C. 

2. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and add the coconut oil cubes and but butter. Combine the mixture with your hands until it is crumbly in texture 

3. Add yoghurt and apples and stir the mixture together with a wooden spoon until it can be handled. GKS says the mixture should be crumbly (but come together when kneaded  at this stage but I think my apples weren't crisp enough so I ended up with a regular gooey scone mixture... Depending on how yours turns out, add more flour if too wet and more yoghurt if too dry! You really can't go wrong though. 

4. If your dough is quite wet, scoop 3 tablespoons full and plop them onto the baking tray before flattening with the palm of your hand. If - like the original recipe says - you end up with a more biscuit dough texture, gather the dough into a ball and flatten it out onto a floured surface until it's about 2.5cm thick (I ignored tis) and use an 8cm (I also ignored this) biscuit cutter to cut out as many scones as physically possible.Gather the remaining dough, and repeat. 

5.  Remove the baking tray and cover it with baking paper before placing the scones on it. Bake for 15–16 minutes or until golden and crusty on the outside and slightly moist on the inside. 

6. Remove from oven, pile on some jam or marmalade, eat. 


Back to the real world tomorrow I'm afraid. Hurrah for not being prepared for tomorrow's class! And double hurrahs for being too exhausted from two big days relaxing to be able to do anything about it... :-S
  
- Matilda 

No comments:

Post a Comment