Sunday, September 30, 2012

Raw Choc-Berry Shakes

I have been obsessed with the raw chocolate milkshake from My New Roots for a long time now.

The milkshake was the first recipe I tried from Sarah B’s (who just celebrated her 30th birthday - check out the cake she made; it’s absolutely stunning!!) gem of a blog and it may not be surprising to hear that I heard of it through Green Kitchen Stories… apparently David showed it to Luise one day and she has been in love ever since. The first of the two recipes I’m sharing today is Green Kitchen Stories’ take on this shake. The second is Earth Sprout Elenore’s raw chocolate-strawberry milkshake deluxe… Mmmm.

Milkshake: romanticised by good ol' instagram 
 Both of these recipes use strawberries as a feature ingredient, giving your basic chocolate shake a little bit of a kick. Moving into summer, it’s so nice to be able to harvest fresh fruit such as strawberries and it just makes recipes like these even more special. I threw a couple of freshly picked mulberries in as well, just for giggles. Even though mine were consumed by the beach, my dream location for this would be in a hammock, looking out of a dam, farmhouse behind me and surrounded by an over-productive fruit and veggie garden on a block of land somewhere that is not here. Maybe one day it will happen and, when it does, I think it may just be pure bliss.


Raw Chocolate Shake (Adapted from Green Kitchen Stories)
Serves 2

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
1 Tbsp raw cacao nibs
1 avocado
1 very large frozen banana
5 fresh strawberries
2 Tbsp raw honey
Pinch of sea salt
1 cup water
5 ice cubes


Directions: Blend all the ingredients until smooth, adding water if you are wanting a thinner shake. Pour into serving glasses and, if your desire to consume this can be suppressed for a minute or more longer, chop up some strawberries and use them to garnish the milkshake.


Raw Chocolate Milkshake Deluxe (Adapted from Earth Sprout)
Serves 2 (the glasses pictured are about a third to half of a serving each) 

Ingredients:

3/4 cup banana, frozen and sliced
2 cups milk of choice (it can still be raw and full of dairy if you use raw, unpasteurised milk… more later!)
Handful of strawberries and/or mulberries
3 Tbsp raisins
4 Tbsp raw cacao
Dash of pure vanilla essence

Directions:  Blend everything together, adding more cacao or sweetener (such as raw honey) if desired. I generally like thicker shakes so I start with 1 cup of milk and work my way up to reach whatever consistency of shake I feel like drinking at the time :-)



Elenore also suggests that, before pouring the shake into the glass, pressing a slice of lime around the edge of each glass and putting the glass face down on a plate dusted with raw cacao to create a lime-cacao rim. It looks – and sounds like it would taste – beautiful but I didn’t want to do the extra washing up…. 

Unfortunately I won’t be home for the most of the summer as I’ll be in Japan visiting my grandparents again, before they fade from me . I feel like these two milkshakes act as my TARDIS (Time And Relevant Dimensions In Space,  for those of you who are not Doctor Who fans), transporting me into the future so I can enjoy some of the sun and heat before I head into the northern hemisphere winter.  I will miss the sweltering days spent in flip-flops (I would say thongs but would probably offend non-Australians by doing so) but I suppose I will have many more years of that to come … Let’s drink to summer!! Cheers!

- Matilda 



P.S. Speaking of the TARDIS (and therefore Doctor Who), I was absolutely heartbroken by the mid-season finale. I have adored Amy and Rory from the beginning and it was devastating to see them go...  It was a bit like last season's finale where I laughed, cried and nearly wet my pants in fear, all in the space of 45 minutes. However I think I caused my parents to be legitimately concerned about my mental health by bawling like a baby at my computer screen; it was just too sad. You have got to hand it to Steven Moffat though - he writes mind-blowing scripts. Now to wait for the Christmas special... 



Illustration from tumblr

Photo from tumblr



"Raggedy Man, Goodbye." (photo from tumblr)

2 comments:

  1. I make a similar smoothie to these ones! In fact I just recently posted about it. Might try throwing in some banana and/or berries into mine next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is fabulous!! And your photos are beautiful... I dream of the day I no longer have to rely on an old compact canon or a phone camera.

      But yes, I highly recommend getting some fruit in there! Green Kitchen Stories, My New Roots and Earth Sprout are three seriously amazing blogs and their recipes are always so inspiring :-)

      Delete