Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Belated St Valentine's Day

Fact: I have never celebrated Valentine’s Day.

I mean, honestly, why should there have to be a designated day for us to celebrate those that we love? It’s sort of like Mother’s Day (which I can never remember which weekend of May it is supposed to be), Father’s Day, etc, etc. We should show our love for the special people in our lives every day, not just when society tells us that we should.

In spite of this, I will admit to sometimes nearly being sucked into the hype that surrounds days like those of St Valentine’s. I have always wanted to do something like bake cupcakes or biscuits for friends and wrap them up in pretty gift paper... I apologise for how corny that sounds! 

Only three months ago, I was half contemplating giving a small present to a lad who had caught my eye. I didn't do it. No, I wasn't chicken, I just thought it best not to subscribe to such commercial scams. Ahem.

I did, however, eventually end up making the chocolate that I was considering giving to this particular boy. Thank goodness I didn’t make it for him though, because:

a) It looks hideous; and,

b) It tastes too good to give away.


Raw chocolate fudge: for times when assessments are looming and you need a little bit of a healthy endorphin kick to keep you chugging along. As well as for keeping your mind off the opposite sex, of course. The combination of raw, organic ingredients in these little gems is truly remarkable.


In order to love others you have first got to love yourself, yes? So make up some of these and enjoy some self lovin’.


Raw Chocolate Fudge (adapted from My New Roots)

Ingredients:

1 ¼ cup of buttery coconut oil
½ cup raw cashew butter (I didn’t have any so I improvised by blending roasted cashews into a butter)
¾ - 1 cup raw honey (from the most recent extraction!)
¾ cup raw cacao powder
Pinch of sea salt

Directions:

1. Using an electric hand mixer, mix the coconut oil and cashew butter on a low speed so as not to over-mix it (apparently it becomes soapy if you do).

2. Pour in the honey and mix again, before adding the cacao powder and salt. Continue to mix until the mixture becomes uniform throughout. 

3. Spoon the mixture into silicon muffin cups or silicon ice cube trays and pop them in the freezer.

4. Leave them in the freezer until set and then enjoy! The coconut oil hardens with the cooler temperature but the other ingredients keep it supple enough that there’s no need to defrost them before consumption.

 I went and bought my first piece of silicon kitchenware after I made these (ugh) so I used regular ice cube trays. It wasn’t really a problem, apart from the fact that I experienced a little bit of difficulty when it came to getting them out (hence their not-so-pretty faces). 

Also, I experimented a little bit by leaving one tray plain and in the other tray, putting different things in each cube – almonds, coffee beans, sultanas, etc. I had no idea what filling was in which piece of fudge so it was like a lucky dip! It just made eating it that much more exciting :-D

- Matilda

No comments:

Post a Comment