Monday, April 2, 2012

Sweet Potato Pie [Smoothie]

Judging from the incredulous looks my friends gave me when I excitedly told them of my most recent smoothie obsession, I realised that the use of 'sweet potato pie' as an adjective to describe the noun 'smoothie' is possibly not entirely socially acceptable. Particularly if your friends are university students who have begun to convince themselves that alcohol is one of the five major food groups. Hence I decided to place 'smoothie' in brackets at the end of the post title so as not to put people off. Hopefully it worked and you're still with me? 


Smoothie, sun, sea breeze, hammock. Of course you're still with me. 


Unfortunately I wasn't able to use organic sweet potatoes from the garden due to the fact that the green thumbs of the people there don't appear to extend to these yummy guys... Even I've successfully planted a batch of sweet potato - it ain't hard! All that is needed to propagate it is to take cuttings (~30cm long) from another plant, remove all the side leaves (except for the one at the tip), dig a slit/trough in the soil and cover it, leaving the tip exposed. Until the next successful crop however, the ones from the local fruit shop will have to do I suppose. It still tasted amazing - like pumpkin pie in a glass! Except that it was sweet potato... 



Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie (adapted from Sweet Potato Soul
Serves 1-2


Ingredients:
1 ½ cups soy milk
1 baked orange sweet potato (flesh only)
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp honey

Directions: Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Serve in a glass. If desired, top with Greek yoghurt, pecans, etc.

It may even be worthwhile starting with a little bit less honey and adding it after you’ve given it a taste, depending on how sweet your  potatoes are. Also, because I prefer to eat my smoothies rather than drink them, I started with just under a cup of milk and added in just enough so that the mixture could blend effectively. 

- Matilda 

No comments:

Post a Comment