Sunday, February 19, 2012

Zucchini Challenge

We have a winner.

The highlight of this summer has been being able to experiment with the seasonal produce coming out of the garden. The veggies that have dominated our fridge over the last couple of months would probably have to be cucumbers and zucchinis. I’ve blogged about some zucchini dishes this year already but after trying many, my family has voted on a winner:


The zucchini cake pictured above is from the first ever time I made it (I forgot to stir the walnuts in so added them in at a rush after I had poured the batter into the pans, hence the lumpy surface). I can happily report that the second (and third, fourth, fifth and… you get the idea) time, the cakes came out much prettier.


Mum having some fun with the paper parasol. I used to collect these when we went to restaurants when I was little. Did other people do that as well or is it just me? I say ‘is’ because I still might be guilty of doing such things… Shhh.

Zucchini Cake (adapted from So Good & Tasty)
Makes 2 loaves

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1/2 cup (or slightly less) olive oil  
3/4 cup honey
1 ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
2 cups whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
2/3 tsp salt
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp baking powder
1 cup walnuts, chopped

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180˚C. Line two loaf pans (mine were 3 x 7 and 3 x 6 due to my oven situation) with baking paper and set aside.

2. In a large bowl mix eggs, oil, honey and vanilla. Stir in grated zucchini.

3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet. Stir in the walnuts and dried fruit if using. 

4. Pour equal parts of the batter into each loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack, then slice and serve.

It would probably be necessary to use the quantities of eggs (3), flour (3 cups), zucchini (3 cups), etc in the original recipe to yield two decent-and-not-to-mention-the-same-sized loaves. The only thing I would change is that I would maybe use just over 1 cup of honey rather than 1 ½ cups sugar. It might also be worthwhile cutting back on the amount of oil if using a liquid sweetener of any sort.

- Matilda

No comments:

Post a Comment