Thursday, February 23, 2012

“I wish I had a mango tree in my backyard…”

Before I begin: I am not an ‘Angus and Julia Stone’ fan. Just thought I would make that clear before people start judging me on my musical tastes (people of my generation probably hate me right now).

One of the greatest parts of the Australian, and in particular Queensland, summer is the tropical fruit that is in abundance at this time of year. My two personal favourites are watermelon and mango. Only last week, I singlehandedly devoured all of the watermelon present at a buffet lunch (the fruit shop down the road selling watermelons at 29c a kilo has also helped to fuel my addiction). I have been slightly more reserved when it comes to mangoes due to them being slightly more expensive but, in recent times, I have being racing – and winning - the bats to the mangoes on the tree at the community garden (which I didn’t even realise was there until about a month and a half ago…).  This has meant that at least half a dozen [organic!] mangoes find their way to my stomach each week.

In my humble opinion, nothing beats a plain Jane mango: cheeks cut off and sliced in a criss-cross so as to facilitate the smooth transition of the flesh from mango skin to mouth. Oh and the seed… the often meaty, always stringy syrupy goodness of Kensington mango seeds is unrivalled by any fruit on this planet. They’re also amazing in cheesecakes, smoothies, sorbets, etc, etc… the list goes on.

The Thais have also found a delectable manner in which to consume this gorgeous summer fruit - as an accompaniment to sticky rice cooked with coconut milk, coconut cream and sugar.

Photo sourced from internet

We always used to cook white sticky rice to use in this dish but have recently discovered that black is just as, if not more, delicious. My mum has tried numerous sticky rice recipes in her time and has finally found two which she has modified so that they make the cut. This is no mean feat when you consider that the recipes are being compared to the real deal; when they were living in Hong Kong and Dad was doing some work in Thailand, he would take her home sticky rice that he bought from its birthplace. 

Mango with White Sticky Rice (from my mother’s cookbook)
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
375g freshly cooked sticky rice
1 cup thick coconut milk
4 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp coconut cream (skimmed from top of coconut milk)
6 large ripe mangoes (skinned, stoned, cubed)

Directions:

1. Making the rice: rinse several times (200g) until water runs clear, soak (12 hours or overnight), then drain. Line saucepan steamer with cheesecloth, steam rice for 45 minutes until tender and translucent. Remove from heat and fluff up with a fork.

2. Place the cooked rice in a bowl and set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring coconut milk, sugar and salt to the boil, lower heat and simmer until milk thicken (about 4-5 minutes).

3. Pour mixture carefully over sticky rice, fluffing up rice with a fork and allowing the coconut mixture to trickle through but not ‘drown’ the rice (otherwise becomes too gluggy and the translucent quality of the rice will be lost).

4. Allow the rice to stand for 10 minutes, then turn in a mound on a serving platter. Garnish with thick coconut cream sprinkled with sesame seeds.

5. Arrange mangoes (cubed or sliced) around the mound of sticky rice. Alternatively, make individual servings of sticky rice and mango slices.



Above, black sticky rice served with canned fruit salad… slack, I know. But it wasn’t quite mango season yet when we were first experimenting with the black stuff. It tasted brilliant nonetheless.

Black Sticky Rice Pudding (from my mother’s cookbook)
Serves 6

Ingredients:
200g (1 cup) black glutinous rice
250ml (1 cup) light or normal coconut milk
80g (1/3 cup) dark palm sugar (or half white, half palm sugar)
60ml (1/4 cup) coconut milk, extra, for serving
Fruit, for serving

Directions:

1. Place rice in bowl, cover well with water, cover, stand overnight; drain. Add rice to pan of boiling water, simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes or until tender; drain.

2. Combine rice, coconut milk and sugar in pan; simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until thickened to porridge-like consistency.

3. Serve with extra coconut milk and fruit of choice (mango!).

- Matilda

2 comments:

  1. Bloody delicious! Love this blog Possie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I've always wanted to try your mango sticky rice! Now that there's a recipe... I gotta do it some time! Too bad we're moving into winter now though.. :( Maybe I can still do it with canned fruit :D

    ReplyDelete